The South African Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) has developed some film incentive to attract international investment and production as well as to assist South African filmmakers in developing local content.
Foreign Film and Television Production and Post-Production Incentive (Foreign Film)
- To encourage and attract large-budget films and television productions and post-production work that will contribute towards employment creation, enhancement of international profile, and increase the country’s creative and technical skills base.
SA Film & TV Production and Co-production (SA Film)
- To support official co-productions and contribute towards employment opportunities in South Africa.
South African film and television production incentive
- To support the local film industry and to contribute towards employment opportunities in South Africa.
The South African Emerging Black Filmmakers Incentive (SA Emerging Black Film)
- To nurture and capacitate emerging black filmmakers to take up big productions and contribute towards employment opportunities.
- Foreign productions can receive between 20% to 25% of the South African spend, capped at 50m Rand.
- Shooting on location in South Africa, the incentive will be calculated as 20% of the Qualifying South African Production Expenditure (QSAPE).
- Shooting on location in South Africa and conducting post-production with a Qualifying South African Post-Production Expenditure (QSAPPE) of R1,5 million in South Africa, the incentive will be calculated at 22,5% of QSAPE and QSAPPE (an additional 2,5%, cumulative 22,5%)
- Shooting on location in South Africa and conducting post-production with a QSAPPE of R3 million and above in South Africa, the incentive will be calculated as 25% of QSAPE and QSAPPE (an additional 5%, cumulative 25%).
- Foreign post-production with QSAPPE of R1,5 million, the incentive is calculated at 22,5% of QSAPPE.
- Foreign post-production with QSAPPE of R3 million and above the incentive is calculated at 25% of QSAPPE.
Going forward, Business Grants and Dream Team Capital can play an even more important role in the co-ordination, integration and reporting on the consolidated performance of the various fragmented energy efficiency initiatives in the country. Contact us today for professional assistance in streamlining your application for the Film Incentive.